Touro Law Adds Almost $500,000 in Endowed Scholarships for Students
Director of Communications
Central Islip, NY - Touro Law Center Dean Patricia Salkin is pleased to announce the creation of seven new endowed student scholarships funded in the first quarter of fiscal year 2013-2014. These new scholarships have increased Touro Law’s endowed, named scholarship offerings by 33% in the last few months.
“On behalf of the students at Touro Law I am thankful to each of these donors for their leadership and support. These named scholarships will supplement existing merit and achievement scholarships, funded in part through the Annual Fund, and will provide students with greater opportunities to apply for much needed tuition assistance. Named scholarships are important to the continued growth and development of our still young law center, and each one promotes Touro Law values and directly impacts student recipients,” said Dean Salkin.
Several of the newly endowed scholarships will be awarded to rising 2L students who have demonstrated excellent academic achievement and are recognized for embodying the values of a successful attorney and graduate of Touro Law. Other new scholarships have been designated for students in special fields of study or leadership in Touro Law programs such as Moot Court Board. Donors of the new scholarships include:
- Harvey Besunder, Esq. created the Arline Besunder Scholarship
- Certilman Balin Adler & Hyman created the Certilman Balin Adler & Hyman Scholarship
- The Fuchsberg Family created the Shirley Fuchsberg Scholarship
- Howard Gross and Dean Patricia Salkin created the Stuart and Sheila Salkin Scholarship
- Matthew Maschler ’97 created the Maschler Family Scholarship
- Thomas’97 and Cynthia Rosicki created the Thomas & Cynthia Rosicki Disability Fund
- Thomas Santucci ’83 and his family created the John Santucci Justice Scholarship
- Florence Hessen Scher ’85 created the Gerald J. Scher Moot Court Scholarship
- Rhonda Gelfman Szabo ’86 created a new scholarship in honor of her family
Touro Law offers various scholarships and fellowships to both incoming and current students. Awards are renewable throughout a student’s course of study in accordance with the terms of the original offer.