Touro College Academy of Leadership and Management
Touro College seeks to identify and retain talented and skilled academic talent by providing them an opportunity to participate in an innovative management preparation academy. The Touro College Academy of Leadership and Management (TCALM) will build on the individual strengths of the participants through workshops, seminars, and team-building experiences designed to prepare participants for potential advancement and increased managerial responsibilities.
The academy program will include:
- Guest speakers from Touro faculty, administrators from several departments and schools, and external experts
- Community/Team building activities
- Required readings
- Collaboration on an action research project
The program of instruction and activities consist of nine face-to-face all-day sessions, meeting once each month. Sessions will take place at alternating Touro locations throughout the New York metropolitan area.
Successful completion of the Academy provides recognition of accomplishment and leadership skills.
Process for Application:
- Self-nomination with recommendation from a College administrator or program head
- Nomination by a College supervisor, administrator, or program head.
Selection is determined by committee based on:
- Education level (minimum Master’s Degree)
- Applicant must be a Touro employee for a minimum of three years at the time of application
- Demonstrated dedication to program completion and professional growth
- Approval and support of the candidate’s supervisor and permission to attend monthly sessions
- Written statement of interest
No more than 20 participants will be selected for the inaugural cohort. Full-day meetings will be held at alternating Touro New York locations on the first Thursday of each month, beginning on February 1, 2018.
Final selection of participants will be made by the Provost, the Vice President of the Graduate Division, and the Vice President of Undergraduate Education.
Criteria for Success:
- Quantitative and qualitative feedback for pilot participants
- Behavioral measures of improvement in key leadership and management skills and competencies
- Pre/post evaluations by supervisors of participants
- Certificate of completion
- Reception and lunch with the President and other College leaders
The Touro College Academy of Leadership and Management introduces participants to higher education leadership and provides an opportunity to develop the skills and competencies that are required to take on successively more advanced leadership positions in the college. As a pathway for professional growth, prepares faculty and administrators for increased responsibility through in-class activities, team building exercises, and engagement in an interschool collaborative action research project.
The program will concentrate on developing the participants’ skills and abilities in:
- Collaboration and team building
- Leadership Management
- Conflict Management/ Problem resolution
- Organizational Theory
- Professional Development
- Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivation
- Monitoring and controlling
- Professional Licensing
- Data analysis
- Licensing Issues
- Outcome Assessment
- Issues across schools
- Critical Reading
- Social Media
- Finance and Budgeting
- Community Collaboration