Nelly Adel, PharmD, BCOP, BCPS
Chair, Pharmacy Practice
Department of Pharmacy Practice
Touro College of Pharmacy
Areas of Expertise
Chemotherapeutic Treatment, Medication Management, Dangerous Drug Interactions, Hematologic Malignancies, Bone Marrow Transplants, GI Malignancies and Breast Cancer.
Nelly Adel is an associate professor and chair of the Pharmacy Practice Department at Touro College of Pharmacy in NYC. Dr. Adel is a graduate of the American University of Beirut. She earned her PharmD from the School of Pharmacy at Lebanese American University. She received postgraduate training at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and completed her pharmacy practice residency (PGY-1) and oncology specialty residency (PGY-2) at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Adel previously worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, where she was founder and manager of Clinical Pharmacy Services, and founder and director of the Oncology Residency Program. Dr. Adel has spoken and published widely, and worked on numerous special projects in oncology. Among her more significant achievements, she has made meaningful strides in the improvement of patient care.
- Hematology/Oncology, Board certified in Pharmacotherapy and Oncology
- Lebanese American University, Beirut, Lebanon; Pharm. D.; 1999
- Lebanese American University, Beirut, Lebanon; Bachelor of Science; 1998
- American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon; Bachelor of Science; 1994
- Pharmacy Practice Residency PGY-1, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Pharmacy Department, Baltimore, MD, 2002
- Oncology Specialty Residency PGY-2, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Pharmacy Department, Baltimore, MD, 2003
- Ogunniyi A, Rodriguez M, Devlin S, Adel N, Landau H, Chung DJ, Lendvai N, Lesokhin A, Koehne G, Mailankody S, Korde N, Reich L, Landgren O, Giralt S, Hassoun H. Upfront use of plerixafor and granulocyte-colony stimulating factor (GCSF) for stem cell mobilization in patients with multiple myeloma: efficacy and analysis of risk factors associated with poor stem cell collection efficiency. Leuk Lymphoma. 2017 May;58(5):1123-1129
- Reiss SN, Buie LW, Adel N, Goldman DA, Devlin SM, Douer D. Hypoalbuminemia is significantly associated with increased clearance time of high dose methotrexate in patients being treated for lymphoma or leukemia. Ann Hematol. 2016 Dec;95(12):2009-2015
- Afifi S, Adel NG, Devlin S, Duck E, Vanak J, Landau H, Chung DJ, Lendvai N, Lesokhin A, Korde N, Reich L, Landgren O, Giralt S, Hassoun H. Upfront plerixafor plus G-CSF versus cyclophosphamide plus G-CSF for stem cell mobilization in multiple myeloma: efficacy and cost analysis study. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2016 Apr;51(4):546-52
- Troy Z Horvat, Nelly G Adel, Thu-Oanh Dang, Parisa Momtaz, Michael A Postow, Margaret K Callahan, Richard D Carvajal, Mark A Dickson, Sandra P D'Angelo, Kaitlin M Woo, Katherine S Panageas, Jedd D Wolchok and Paul B Chapman. Immune-Related Adverse Events, Need for Systemic Immunosuppression, and Effects on Survival and Time to Treatment Failure in Patients With Melanoma Treated With Ipilimumab at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Aug 17 Epub 2015 Aug 17.
- Harnicar S, Ponce DM, Hilden P, Zheng J, Devlin SM, Lubin M, Pozotrigo M, Mathew S, Adel N, Kernan NA, O'Reilly R, Prockop S, Scaradavou A, Hanash A, Jenq R, van den Brink M, Giralt S, Perales MA, Young JW, Barker JN. Intensified Mycophenolate Mofetil Dosing and Higher Mycophenolic Acid Trough Levels Reduce Severe Acute Graft-versus-Host Disease after Double-Unit Cord Blood Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2015 May;21(5):920-5
- Ceberio I, Dai K, Devlin SM, Barker JN, Castro-Malaspina H, Goldberg JD, Giralt S, Adel NG, Perales MA. Safety of voriconazole and sirolimus coadministration after allogeneic hematopoietic SCT. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2015 Mar;50(3):438-43
- Altman JK, Rademaker A, Cull E, Weitner BB, Ofran Y, Rosenblat TL, Haidau A, Park JH, Ram SL, Orsini JM Jr, Sandhu S, Catchatourian R, Trifilio SM, Adel NG, Frankfurt O, Stein EM, Mallios G, Deblasio T, Jurcic JG, Nimer S, Peterson LC, Kwaan HC, Rowe JM, Douer D, Tallman MS. Administration of ATRA to newly diagnosed patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia is delayed contributing to early hemorrhagic death. Leuk Res. 2013 Sep;37(9):1004-9
- Pozotrigo M, Adel N, Landau H, Lesokhin A, Lendvai N, Chung DJ, Chimento D, Riedel E, Chen X, Reich L, Comenzo R, Giralt S, Hassoun H. Factors impacting stem cell mobilization failure rate and efficiency in multiple myeloma in the era of novel therapies: experience at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2013 Aug;48(8):1033-9.
- Moore RA, Adel N, Riedel E, Bhutani M, Feldman DR, Tabbara NE, Soff G, Parameswaran R, Hassoun H. High incidence of thromboembolic events in patients treated with cisplatin-based chemotherapy: a large retrospective analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2011 Sep 1; 29(25):3466-73. Epub 2011 Aug 1.
- Mathew S, Adel N, Rice RD, Panageas K, Duck ET, Comenzo RL, Kewalramani T, Nimer SD. Retrospective comparison of the effects of filgrastim and pegfilgrastim on the pace of engraftment in auto-SCT patients. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2010 Oct; 45(10):1522-7. Epub 2010 Jan 11.
- Harnicar S, Adel N, Jurcic J. Modification of vincristine dosing during concomitant azole therapy in adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia patients. J Oncol Pharm Pract 2009 March 12
- SS Kanj, N Adel, GF Araj. The continued prevalence of gram-negative infections in febrile neutropenic patients in Lebanon. Comparison with studies from the Middle East. BMJ Middle East 2001 April; Vol 6, No 81:3-13
- Adel N, et al. Considerations in Lymphoma Ask the Experts: Hodgkin Lymphoma. Center of Excellence, April 2011
- Adel N, et al. Advances in the Treatment of Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma: A Pharmacist’s Perspective. Center of Excellence, April 2010
- Adel N, et al. Pharmacotherapy Self assessment Program (PSAP), Colon Cancer Chapter. 6th edition 2008
- Adel N, American Pharmacists Association (APHA) “New Product Bulletin: Vectibix TM panitumumab” Improving medication use 2007
- Adel N, et al. New Treatments for the Management of Treatment-Experienced Breast Cancer: Examining the Evidence, Advanced Studies in Pharmacy. 2007, Volume 4 (13): 389- 396
- Adel N. InPHARmation, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Department Newsletter, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016
- Adel N. The Writing on the Wall, The Johns Hopkins Hospital Pharmacy Departmental Newsletter; February and March 2003