Student Responsibilities

Report to the PDSO and notify the PDSO of any changes in your information within 10 days.

You are required to report to the PDSO upon arrival to the U.S.  You will be required to submit a copy of your visa, I-94 (Arrival/ Departure Record), I-20, and your US address to the PDSO.

Attend New International Student Information Session (Orientation)

It is important for you to attend New Student Orientation.  You will be informed about the responsibilities and rights of F-1 students, SEVIS regulations, and services of the Office of International Student Services.  You will also have a chance to meet International Student Advisors (PDSO), faculty, and other international students.  The location and time will be updated on the Touro website.

Register and complete a full course of study

During the academic year, international students must enroll and complete full course of study.  If you are not registered full time or drop below full course of study without authorization from a PDSO, your SEVIS record will be terminated and you will lose your F-1status.  

Full Course of study:
Undergraduate: 12 credits per semester
Master’s and Doctorate’s: 9 credits per semester

Online course: only one course is allowed per semester

Comply with the Employment Regulations

F-1 students are eligible to work in the U.S. with certain restrictions and limited time period.  You must obtain employment authorization before you begin working.   Please consult with a PDSO for your employment options.

On-campus employment

Curricular Practical Training

Optional Practical Training

Complete program before your I-20 expires or request program extension

You are expected to complete your program before your I-20 expires.  To extend the program completion date on the I-20, you are required to demonstrate a compelling academic or medical reason and thefinancial ability to continue studying in the U.S.  Please contact your PDSO for I-20 extension.

Keep your passport and I-20 valid at all times

You will not be eligible to travel or granted immigration benefits if your passport is expired.