Undergraduate Transfer Credit Policy

Touro University welcomes transfer students and believes that appropriate credit for prior academic study plays an important role in the achievement of students’ degree completion. The evaluation of prior study is an essential tool in advisement and degree planning. Transfer students seeking credits for previous academic work should therefore arrange to have an official transcript sent to the Office of Admissions of the University in which they seek to enroll at the beginning of their academic career at the University.

Credits are generally awarded after evaluation for liberal arts and sciences, business, education, computer science and social science courses that (a) are relevant to a student’s program of study, (b) are equivalent to courses offered at Touro, and (c) were completed with a minimum grade of C at an accredited institution. Courses from non-accredited institutions or organizations, even if recommended for credit by the American Council on Education, must be reviewed by the respective Departmental Chair before credit may be transferred. It may be necessary to schedule a meeting with department chairpersons if transfer credits are being offered to fulfill major, concentration, or other requirements.

Touro University grants transfer credits for satisfactory course work completed in a traditional classroom setting, through distance education, and, upon evaluation of a portfolio, for experiential learning.

A maximum of six credits is generally granted for previous work completed in technical or professional programs not offered at Touro University or relevant to a student’s program of study. 

Credits may not be awarded for courses taken more than 10 years prior to a student’s first semester at Touro University in natural sciences, business, and accounting. Such transfer credit in all other areas except for computer science is subject to individual departmental approval; in computer science, credit may not be awarded for courses taken more than six years prior to a student’s first semester at Touro University.

Students who have completed an associate’s degree at an accredited institution generally may transfer a minimum of 60 credits toward a baccalaureate degree, but they must meet the individual course and liberal arts requirements of their selected certificate and/or degree program. This may entail a course-by-course evaluation (or its equivalent) to ensure that Touro course requirements are satisfied. Courses which may be equivalent to required course work are reviewed by an evaluator; if the evaluator is unable to determine required course work equivalency from the course description and course syllabus, it will be sent to the appropriate department chair for review and equivalency evaluation.

Transfer courses which are not equivalent to required course work may be considered for elective or “blanket credit,” and are evaluated in one of two ways:

  1. If the student has an Associate or higher degree, courses may be accepted in bulk as electives; a course-by-course review may not be required.
  1. If the student does not have an Associate or higher degree, courses will be reviewed on a course-by-course basis and may be given a “blanket credit” or elective course acceptance.

In both cases, credit is applied to the student’s program in the elective credit area(s).

Transfer students should be aware that if they take a course at Touro which is transferable to Touro from a prior institution, that course will not count toward full-time status for financial aid purposes. This may have adverse financial aid implications, and a Financial Aid officer should be consulted for further information.

To be eligible for a certificate or an associate’s degree, a transfer student must successfully complete at least 24 credits at Touro University. The baccalaureate degree requires at least 45 credits in residence at Touro. In addition, a minimum of 50% of the credits in a student’s major must be taken at Touro. Any credits transferred above 75 do not count towards a baccalaureate degree, and any credits transferred above 36 do not count towards an associate degree.


Because Judaic Studies is a required component of the curriculum, the Lander Colleges may award up to a maximum of 48 credits for post-high-school yeshiva and seminary studies toward the 120-credit baccalaureate degree. Students must document their yeshiva and seminary work by arranging for official transcripts to be submitted to the Lander Colleges for evaluation. The chair of the Department of Judaic Studies or his/her designee reviews the yeshiva or seminary involved, and makes a determination as to the transfer of credits and the percentage of credits to be transferred from the individual institution. A listing of yeshivot and seminaries for which the College awards credit is available from the Office of the Registrar. Based on departmental evaluations, transfer credit for Judaic Studies courses may be reduced by up to 50% of credits awarded by the yeshiva or seminary and listed on the institution’s transcript. Because of the intensity of study in Israel, students who have completed one year of intensive Judaic Studies in Israel (or similar domestic institutions) generally earn the equivalent of one year of college credit (30-36 credits). 

At present, credits are not generally awarded for online Judaic Studies or for the completion of course examinations in Judaic Studies areas offered by outside agencies. In the instance that courses completed at a yeshiva or seminary are evaluated for credit by a third party, Touro will require an original transcript from the yeshiva or seminary at which the study was completed. Touro University will not generally transfer credit for Judaic Studies courses completed before the student graduated high school.

Transfer Credit Post-Matriculation at Touro University

Students wishing to take courses at another institution while matriculated at Touro University must obtain official permission in advance. They must submit a completed “Permit to Attend Another University” form, which is available in the Office of the Registrar. Failure to obtain official permission to take courses at another institution may cause either a delay in obtaining credit or complete disapproval of the transfer credit.


Departmental Challenge Examinations

Students who can demonstrate proficiency in a particular subject may earn credits by taking a departmental challenge examination, as appropriate. Interested students must make arrangements for taking the examination with the appropriate department chairperson, file a “Request to Take a Challenge Examination” form with the Registrar’s Office, and pay the necessary fee to the Bursar. Touro University does not transfer Challenge Exam credit awarded at another institution.

Standardized examinations

  • Students may receive college credit for selected subject area examinations given by the College Entrance Examination Board - College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement Examinations (AP); Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES); selected proficiency examinations sponsored by certain colleges, and for Excelsior College (formerly Regents College) examinations. A listing of examinations for which credit is given is available from the Office of the Registrar.
  • Credit transferred from standardized CLEP examinations does not generally substitute for required courses in the student’s academic program or for science, business and economics courses. The maximum number of credits by examination overall that Touro accepts is thirty credits and the maximum number of credits accepted in any specific category (listed above) is twelve, with the exception of AP courses, for which the maximum is 30. Credits for CLEP examinations undertaken after enrollment at Touro University requires completion and approval of a permit form. See CLEP Equivalencies.
  • Credit and/or advanced standing is typically awarded for scores of 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement (AP) examinations taken before graduation. No credit is awarded for tests taken after the completion of high school. In order to receive credit, students must have official score results sent directly from the College Board to the Office of Admissions (Touro University’s code is 2902). Credit and/or advanced standing is typically awarded for grades of 6 or 7 on the International Baccalaureate (IB) higher-level examinations taken before graduation. No credit is awarded for tests taken after the completion of high school. In order to receive credit, the student must have official score results sent directly from the International Baccalaureate Organization to the Office of Admissions. See AP Equivalencies.


Touro University recognizes that students can acquire college-level knowledge outside of the classroom, and credit for such learning through Life Experience can be counted toward degree completion. Baccalaureate degree students may request that the Life Experience Committee award up to 40 college credits for documented learning through experience. Associate degree students may earn up to 20 credits toward their degree after evaluation by the Life Experience Committee.

Life Experience credits are awarded only for learning equivalent to specific University courses. They may not be used to satisfy a required liberal arts core requirement or generally for courses in the student’s major or concentration. Life Experience credits are not awarded if such credits largely duplicate courses already completed at Touro University or other accredited institutions of higher learning submitted for transfer.

Guidelines and assistance for preparing the Life Experience Portfolio are available in the Office of the Dean of Faculties. 


Credit may be awarded to students who have completed college courses while in high school, provided that they received a grade of "C" or better in the courses and that corresponding courses are offered at Touro University. Generally, these courses should be taught by a college/university faculty member and not counted toward high school graduation requirements. Junior Year Freshman Center credit may be accepted, on the same basis as Senior year credit. Touro University reserves the right to re-test students on material earned in Freshman Center courses and to refuse transfer when standards are not met.


All transfer credits are reviewed by one of several trained evaluators who work closely with faculty chairs in determining ongoing transfer credit and course equivalencies.  If a course is not acceptable for transfer credit or will not fulfill a Touro University requirement due to a determination that it is not equivalent to a required course, students may appeal that decision directly with the appropriate department chair by supplying additional information such as syllabi, textbook, etc. The department chair will then inform the evaluator, in writing, of any change(s) to be made to the evaluation.


Touro University maintains and regularly updates articulation agreements with the following:

  • Westchester County Community College (School of Health Sciences)
  • Suffolk County Community College (School of Health Sciences)
  • Nassau County Community College (School of Health Sciences)
  • New York University (Lander College for Women)
  • Technical Careers Institute/TCI (NYSCAS)

Touro faculty, as needed, confers regularly with colleagues at these and other colleges in an effort to revise current agreements, and to expand articulation agreements with new partners.  Specifics of each articulation agreement are available from the respective Office of the Dean.


Touro University is affiliated with a number of regionally-accredited branches outside of New York State through the Touro University and University System (TCUS). Students who wish to transfer from one of those branches to Touro University-New York must complete a transfer process through the Admissions Office. Courses previously completed at those out-of-state or international branches which fall under the institution’s Middle States accreditation are fully transferable to Touro University-New York and appear on the student’s transcript together with the grades awarded. Because each separately-chartered out-of-state institution may have its own curriculum and academic requirements, students are advised that they must satisfy residency and graduation requirements of Touro University-New York in order to graduate from Touro - New York. At least 30 credits in residence must be satisfied in the respective branch to graduate from that branch.

Students may also attend one of the Touro branches as a visiting student while maintaining matriculation at their original home campus. These students also need to contact the Admissions Office, and should receive a permit from their home branch institution. Courses taken in a different Touro branch may not count toward the 30-credit home campus residency requirement.

Students who transfer officially (as above) to Touro University-New York from a Touro College and University System (TCUS) affiliated institution with a different regional accreditor will have prior course work recorded as transfer credits, and Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is calculated only on grades awarded at the school at which the student is matriculated; prior coursework is evaluated on a course-by-course basis for equivalency, and credit may be recorded either as an equivalent course or as blanket credits, in the instance that a course-by-course equivalency is not possible. (The Touro College-Los Angeles curriculum is largely modeled after the Lander College curriculum, and courses will transfer on a course-by-course basis.) As above, students need to satisfy residency and academic requirements of the unit in which they are matriculated and from which they seek to graduate.

Students who transfer are strongly advised to schedule a meeting immediately with an academic advisor who can guide them as to requirements in the Touro branch into which they have transferred. 

Transfer between branches can have implications concerning continuation of financial aid benefits. Students are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office as part of the transfer process.


Students from foreign countries are eligible for admission to Touro University upon graduation from high school or the equivalent. Such students follow the same application procedure as other candidates for admission. Students whose native language is not English, or who did not graduate from high school or college in the USA or other English-speaking country, may also need to demonstrate proficiency in English, depending on the academic program to which they apply, through satisfactory performance on a standardized examination and an English Placement Essay administered by the University.


All international applicants must have an original transcript of their secondary and/or college record, with a certified English translation, if necessary, sent to the Office of Admissions.

Students who attend colleges outside of the United States are required to provide a transcript from a professional foreign credential evaluation service. For consistency in foreign evaluations, Touro recommends World Education Services (WES) or Josef Silny and Associates, Inc. If, however, it is not possible to obtain an evaluation from either of these evaluation services, or if the student has had their credits evaluated by another foreign evaluation service, we award transfer credit on condition that said service is a member of The National Association of Credential Evaluator Services.


Touro University reserves the right to deny credit for courses that are not compatible with those offered in its baccalaureate degree programs. Some general categories of courses never receive transfer credit, or, in some instances, receive credit on a restricted basis only. Examples of courses that receive no credit include:

  • Courses considered below college level (usually numbered below 100)
  • Repeated courses or courses with duplicate subject content
  • Coursework earned at an institution that did not hold at least candidacy status with its accrediting association when the coursework was taken
  • Mathematics courses considered below college level, including basic math, business math, and beginning and intermediate algebra
  • Courses offered for non-credit continuing education units
  • Remedial English (e.g., reading, vocabulary development, grammar, speed reading, or any courses that are preparatory to an institution’s first Freshman Composition course)
  • Courses providing instruction in English as a Second Language (100-level or above)
  • Remedial courses in any academic discipline (100-level and above)
  • Non-academic/vocational-technical courses. (limited to 6 credits)


Students who have completed two or more years of a high-school foreign language receive no college credit for an entry-level course (e.g., French 101) in the same language when that course is completed after matriculation at the college. Transfer students who complete such a course before matriculation at Touro University are eligible to receive transfer credit.

Touro University grants a maximum of 12 credits for the NYU Foreign Language Proficiency Exam(s) taken by a student. Please see the NYU Foreign Language Equivalency Table for more information.


First-year (elementary) or second-year (intermediate) foreign-language credit is not granted either by examination or by course completion in a student’s native language. “Native language” is defined as the language spoken in the student’s home during the first six years of his or her life and in which he or she received instruction through the seventh grade. 


Credit is not awarded for prerequisite courses in mathematics or foreign languages completed after a more advanced course has been completed. For example, students will not be awarded credit for Spanish 102 if taken after Spanish 103. 


If a department makes the determination that two of its courses have essentially overlapping content, credit is awarded for only one. (Students should consult the catalog and/or the department chair in cases of doubt). The different schools of the University may have parallel or duplicate courses with similar course titles and with identical numbers (but differing course codes to denote the individual school). Students do not receive credit for identical or parallel courses repeated in different schools of the University, and the duplicate course will not count toward the credit load for financial aid purposes.

Any credits transferred above 75 do not count towards a baccalaureate degree, and any credits transferred above 36 do not count towards an associate degree.


Each program may have additional transfer credit policies regarding professional courses, please refer to the program website for additional information.


  • Transcripts from institutions from which Touro generally transfers credit, that offered Covid -19 related pass-fail grading during Spring 2020 through Fall 2020, and contain courses awarded the P grade, will be fully evaluated for transfer credit.
  • Credit for such P-graded courses will be applied as equivalent to the respective Touro course for satisfying graduation or major requirements, or if no equivalent course exists accepted as blanket transfer credits.