Susan Courey, Ph.D.
Program Chair, Early Childhood Education & Special Education, Birth – Grade 2
Department of Education & Special Education
Graduate School of Education
Areas of Expertise
Special education, accessible mathematic teachings, learning disabilities including ADHD and autism, and teacher preparation
Susan Courey, Ph.D. is currently the Department Chair of Early Childhood General and Special Education at the Touro Graduate School of Education in New York City. Prior to joining the Touro Graduate School of Education in May 2016, Dr. Courey was an Associate Professor of Special Education and the Mild/Moderate Program Coordinator in the Department of Special Education at San Francisco State University. Recently awarded Professor Emerita at San Francisco State University, Dr. Courey continues work with colleagues and doctoral students on research projects in the areas of mathematics and learning challenges, mathematics and music, teacher preparation, and Universal Design for Learning.
- Shapira, S. H. & Courey, S. (2021, January). Cultural pedagogy as a tool for understanding and collaboration [Presentation]. DEC’s 36th Annual International Conference on Young Children with Special Needs and Their Families
- Courey, S. & Haber. R. A. (2020, December 8). Helping explain disabilities to grandparents, caregivers, and siblings [Presentation]. New York Child Development Centre Workshop.
- Bellavia, T., Haber, R., & Courey, S. (2019 November 16). Academic musicians: A Program teaching math through music/coding to autistic children. Presentation at the CEC TED Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Courey, S. (2019 November 17). Tourette’s. Panelist at the CEC TED Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Courey, S., & Haber, R. (2019 October). Parent Advocacy. Leader for a Roundtable Panel at NYACTE Conference, Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Azaryahu, L., Courey, S. J., Elkoshi, R., & Adi-Japha, E. (2019). “MusiMath” and “Academic Music” - Two music-based intervention programs for fractions learning in fourth grade students. Developmental Science, e12882. https://doi.org/10.1111/desc.12882
- Courey, S. (2019 May 7). Teaching children with autism: Evidence from families and research. Presentation at Touro College Research Day, New York.