How to Use Your VA Benefits at Touro

Post-9/11 GI BILL®

  1. Apply for GI Bill® Benefit with Department of Veteran Affairs:
    • Student applying for GI Bill benefits for the first time must complete an online application for the GI Bill.
    • If you have used your GI Bill benefits at another school, you must submit VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.
  2. Register for classes at Touro University:
    • VA will only pay tuition for classes required by your degree program. Meet with your academic advisor to enroll for classes and make sure you are on track with your program requirements.
  3. Request Enrollment Certification Every Semester:
    • After your schedule is finalized, you must submit copies of the following documents to your School Certifying Official:
      • Touro University Acceptance Letter (for new students)
      • Certificate of Eligibility from VA (for new students)
      • Proof of registration
      • Touro University Enrollment Certification Request Form (See attached Form: This form will allow your SCO to apply your VA benefit for the semester.)
    • After receipt of the relevant documents, an enrollment certification will be submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs on your behalf for the number of credit hours you have registered for. Note that you must request enrollment certification every semester.

VA Requirements for Students:

Reporting Responsibility:  Students who have changes in their enrollment status (increase/decrease of credit hours, or withdrawal) after their enrollment certification is submitted must inform their SCO of any changes within 10 days.

School Attendance Verification for Ch. 30, 1606, and 1607: Students receiving the Montgomery GI Bill, Active Duty, or MGIB must verify their school attendance every month by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling toll free telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)

  1. Submit all required documents to your VA Rehabilitation Case Managers to ensure issuance of VA form 28-1905 every semester.
  2. Register for classes at Touro University
    VA will only pay tuition for classes required by your degree program. Meet with your academic advisor to enroll for classes and make sure you are on track with your program requirements.
  3. Inform the SCO at Touro University upon issuance of the Form 28-1905 and completion of your course registration.

Students must communicate with their VA counselor or the Regional Office for any questions with their eligibility, housing payment, and available VR&E services.

State Benefit-Veteran Tuition Assistance (VTA)

  1. Complete and submit the Veterans Tuition Award Application and Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the TAP on the FAFSA Web application.
  2. Register for classes.
  3. Complete the Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the TAP each year to receive VTA payment.

Avoid Duplicate Payment Errors:

Tuition payments received by a veteran under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33) and Yellow Ribbon component will be considered duplicative of any VTA award a student may have received (except for Montgomery GI bill®).  Combined tuition benefits available to a student cannot exceed the actual tuition. Please see more information at HESC website.

If you have any questions regarding VTA application process, please contact the Financial Aid Office at your school or the HESC Scholarship Unit at or 1-888-697-4372 with questions about this Program.

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Section 103

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or VR&E (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not:

  • Prevent nor delay the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution, including but not limited to access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.